canada immigration international students

Canada is popular for its well-organized higher education system. The country is home to the world’s top 28 universities, with the University of Toronto, McGill University and the  University of British Columbia  being placed under Top 50 World Universities. International students recognize that Canadian universities rank high in quality and innovation, teaching excellence, research standard, employability, alumni outcome, and more. Foreign nationals need a study permit to study at  designated learning institutions  (DLIs) in Canada. However, a study permit is not a visa. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.

Student Visa Immigration

Eligibility Requirements for Studying in Canada

To be eligible to study as an international student in Canada in one of the educational institutions, you must meet these eligibility requirements:

  • Acceptance Letter: You must have an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
  • Proof of Financial Support: You must provide documents that demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of tuition for your first year of study as well as the cost of living (housing, food, etc.) for yourself
  • Supporting Documentation: Extensive supporting documentation must be submitted with your study permit application. You can consult one of our immigration specialists and we will provide you with assistance.

What You Need to Follow Once You Get Your Study Permit

  • You must be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • You must learn and work towards completing your program
  • You must follow all conditions listed on their study permit
  • You must leave Canada when your permit expires

How Dastur Immigration  Services Can Help You?

There are many universities, colleges, and programs in Canada that it gets difficult for students to choose a program or course. At Dastur Immigration, we  provide guidance from start to finish.

  • We will help you find a program of study which suits your needs and interests.
  • We will determine your eligibility to study as an international student in Canada.
  • We will help you obtain your letter of acceptance from your chosen DLI.
  • We will assist you in preparing and submitting your study permit application.
  • We will also guide you on how to find the best accommodation facility during your stay in Canada.

Apply for a Study Permit

To get started, simply complete our  self-assessment  form and one of our experts will contact you to discuss your immigration options.

Frequently Ask Questions

The Student Direct Stream provides faster processing of your study permit. You are eligible to apply under this stream only if you’re a legal resident of Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and Vietnam. Depending on where you’re applying from, you may need to provide certain documents apart from essential documents. Contact our immigration specialist to know more about the Student Direct Stream.

If you don’t finish your certification, degree, or course  before  the expiry date on your permit, you will need to  apply for an extension of your stay as a student. We will help you to extend your study permit and stay in Canada. Contact us to know how.

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program. You also get an extra 90 days. The 90 days are provided to help you prepare to leave Canada or apply for an extension of your stay.

Short-term studies are those that can be completed with a duration of six months or less. If you’re coming to Canada for a short-term study, you don’t need a study permit. But if your program takes more than 6 months, you must secure a study permit before the initial six months has passed.

If you’re interested in pursuing an educational program in the province of Quebec, you need to first obtain a Certificated acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) before you apply for a study permit. To know more, contact our immigration specialist today.

Translate »