Canada is one of the most opted study destinations for international students. The country offers affordable higher education, internationally acclaimed institutions, and a welcoming environment for students. According to the figures published by Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), there are over 6,22,000 foreign students in Canada, with Indians around 217,410.
The country provides globally recognized Bachelor’s, Master’s, Diplomas, certificates, and Doctoral Degrees for international students.
Here are the Canada student visa requirements you must meet to secure a visa in Canada from India.
- Letter of acceptance from the institution or university.
- Financial requirements
- English proficiency
- Health requirements
Checklist for Indian students going to Canada
Now that you have decided to study in Canada, it is now the moment to strike off some of the important things from the checklist of essentials required to move to Canada. Check the details given below to know what can be the possible steps to arrive hassle-free in Canada.
- First of all, apply for a course in a designated learning institute. There are over 1,500 universities, colleges, and other educational institutions that are authorized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to welcome international students.
- If the school admits you as a student, they will send you an acceptance letter. You need this letter to apply for a study permit.
- Then, apply for a new passport or make sure that your current passport is valid for at least one year after your return date to your home country
- Next, apply for a study permit in Canada. Take help from professional student visa consultants to apply for your permit.
- After this, buy your airline ticket to Canada.
- Then, purchase health and travel insurance. Travel insurance that can cover you and your belongings, illness, travel delays, missed departure, and airline failure.
- Next, get copies of your medical and immunization records.
- After collecting all the documents, look for accommodation options. Some colleges and universities will supply dormitories and townhouses. If you are living on campus you may be able to opt for a meal plan program.
- Next, arrange transportation to and from the airport at home and in Canada.
- Consider setting up your bank account in advance. Also, get a small amount of Canadian cash before departure, and do not forget to carry your credit card.
- Next, plan out your baggage limitations and customs requirements so you can plan your packing.
- Then, make photocopies of all the necessary documents to pack in your baggage.
- Get to know more and more about Canada and the town where you will be studying and living.
- Lastly, contact your Canadian school, university, or college and ask any questions for which you want your doubts to be cleared such as enrollment in classes, your first week, accommodation, etc.
- Days before the departure make sure you have all relevant documentation ready.
Apply for a Study Permit for Indian Students
There are many steps involved with applying for a study permit. The processing time varies so it is best to plan ahead to ensure your permit will be processed before your study period begins.
There are two sets of requirements you must consider when applying for a Canadian study permit: eligibility requirements, and requirements while studying in Canada.
Eligibility requirements – Acceptance Letter, Proof of Financial Support, and Supporting Documentation.
Requirements while studying in Canada – Always be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), make progress towards completing their program, respect any conditions listed on their study permit, and leave Canada when their permit expires.
How Dastur Immigration Can Help You Get Study Visa in Canada
Let us help you become an international student in Canada! We will help you find a program of study which suits your needs and interests, determine your eligibility to study in Canada, obtain your letter of acceptance from your chosen DLI, and assist you in submitting your study permit application. Complete our self-assessment form and an immigration consultant from our team will contact you to discuss your options.
Contact us today!