A work permit is a legal document that allows foreign nationals to engage in employment while living in Canada. Each year, Canada issues about half a million work permits to temporary foreign workers in the technology domain. On the other hand, Canada Permanent Residence is a five year-multiple-entry visa that provides skilled foreign workers with an opportunity to work and settle in Canada. If you’re not ready for Permanent Resident (PR) status yet, you can still apply for these work permits and work and live in Canada.
Getting a Work Permit in Canada: Benefits
A work permit in Canada is a huge opportunity for foreign workers seeking to make a better life. Under the Canada Work Permit Visa you can:
- Work in Canada under the employer you have mentioned in your work permit application
- Have the ability to apply for Dependent Visas to call your dependents
- Earn in dollars
- Travel across Canada
- Apply for a PR visa at a later date
Type of Work Permits in Canada
There are two types of work permits provided by Canadian authorities – an open work permit and an employer-specific work permit.
1. An open work permit allows you to work for any employer. As this visa is not job-specific, applicants do not require the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or an offer letter from an employer.
2. The employer-specific work permit is a permit that allows you to work for a specific employer. This means applicants must remain working with the same employer at the same location unless they change their work permit.
Please refer to the following categories below to determine which permit will best suit your qualifications.
- Global Talent Stream: The Global Talent Stream is one of the streams contained within Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). The GTS program helps certain Canadian employers to hire foreign nationals and compete on an international scale. Employers applying under GTS must be issued a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) prior to the official hiring of a foreign national.
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP): If you don’t qualify for any of the work permits described above, then you can opt for the standard LMIA-mandatory work permit under the TFWP. Tech workers are in shortage in the country and Canada is one of the fastest-growing tech hubs in North America. It won’t be difficult to get an approved LMIA for a tech worker.
- Intra-Company Transfers: Canada’s International Mobility Program is another option for you to work and live in Canada. This program enables high-skilled foreign nationals to work temporarily in Canada as intra-company transferees. If a foreign national is an employee of a multinational company in a location outside of Canada, they may be eligible to obtain an LMIA-exempt work permit to transfer to one of the company’s locations within Canada.
- International Mobility Program: The International Mobility Program (IMP) enables Canadian employers to hire temporary foreign workers without the need for an LMIA. In order to hire an employee under this program, the employer needs to confirm the position or worker in question qualifies for an LMIA-exemption, pay the employer compliance fee of $230 CAD, and submit the official job offer through the IMP’s Employer Portal.
Tech workers seeking to work and live in Canada can also apply for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA). However, they have different eligibility and document requirements. Contact an immigration specialist to know more about these two work permits.
How Dastur Immigration Can Help You!
Dastur Immigration is experienced in Canadian immigration and visa consulting services. Our teams have worked on thousands of Canadian visa applications. We have the knowledge and experience to help you throughout the process.
We will help you evaluate your eligibility to work in Canada and find out the best work permit options for your needs. We will provide step-by-step guidance on how to search and apply for a job in Canada. At Dastur Immigration, our immigration specialists will work with you on the visa application process and even help you prepare for the visa interview if required.
Talk to a Dastur Immigration consultant to learn more about your work permit options in Canada.